Arizona courts may appoint a guardian for a minor child if all parental rights of custody have been terminated or suspended by circumstances or prior court order. Any person interested in the welfare of a minor child may petition the court to be appointed a guardian. After the petition is filed, the court will then set a hearing date. When appointing a guardian, the court shall appoint a person whose appointment would be in the best interests of the child. A child who is 14 or older may prevent the appointment of a guardian, or instead, nominate a person to be a guardian. If the individual petitioning for an appointment of the child is unrelated to the child, the court will require a full set of fingerprints for a criminal background investigation. Our experienced family law attorneys work to protect your rights and the best of interest of the minor child.

The guardian of a minor child has the powers and responsibilities of a custodial parent regarding support, care and education.

Contact us for a consultation with an experienced Phoenix, family lawyer.

Convenient Location

Blumberg & Associates
3600 N. 19th Ave.
Phoenix, Arizona 85015

Tel: 602-716-0800
Cell: 602-909-8006
Fax: 602-889-9167
Toll Free: 1-866-465-8797